Monday, October 15, 2007

Apologies Again

The downtime wasn't due to him not saying anything.  I just ran out of time during the day to post.

1.  I went to eat lunch one day at work.  I saw some of the people in my department, but they had finished lunch and had to leave.  I looked up from talking with them and saw some of Stan's coworkers.  I thought "well, I've met them, why don't I eat with them?"

They had the same deal: most of them were past done with lunch, but they hung around for a little bit.  Til they saw Stan.  Apparently, one of them had even tried to get rid of Stan as he had messaged him before with misleading directions/instructions about lunch.  When everyone started leaving, only one person other than me wasn't finished with lunch.  This person quietly spoke:

"Guys.  Don't leave me with Stan.  Please don't...come on guys....Hey Stan, how's it going?"

2.  At said lunch, I had ordered a chili dog.  Now, the way things work at the cafeteria here (like most cafeterias) is that there's a menu with a list of what's available.  Then, you go up to the food stations and order what you want.  If you want a special, say "Stuffed Shells with Cheese, vegetable, and a roll," you must tell them that specifically.  In addition, the menu clearly lists ingredients.  So, for Stuffed Shells with Cheese, the ingredients are pasta shells and cheese.  Stan had gotten Stuffed Shells with Cheese, vegetable, and a dinner roll, and came outside to eat with us.  He finished all of the stuffed shells (in his defense, they were actually macaroni and cheese), started chowing down on the vegetable (peas), when he offered a great observation.  Five minutes after he had bought his food.

Stan: "Hey, there's no meat in my stuffed shells with cheese!"
Me and his coworker: "............"
Stan: "I thought there would be some sort of meat."
Me: "...well....it did...just say cheese on the menu."

3.  At the same lunch (the only time I saw him at all that particular day), Stan told me he was scared witless earlier as he couldn't find his towels.  He believed that his towels had gone missing, so he spent a lot of time that morning looking for them.  He looked in his car, under his bed, in the bathroom, and gave up.  He simply declared the towels gone.  Then he opened his closet.  And there they were.

4.  Part of the reason why I didn't update the blog earlier was that I was hosting some friends here.  When we arrived, we moved all of our groceries we had bought into the house before I gave them a tour of the apartment.  We went to the basement and talked there about what we could and couldn't or shouldn't do for a few minutes before we went back upstairs and to the bedrooms.  Stan came out of his bedroom and greeted the both of them loudly.

The next morning at breakfast, Stan told me that he had heard us walk in and saw the bags on the kitchen table.  Then went back to his room and waited for us to walk near his room, instead of looking for us and introducing himself then.

5.  I had gone to a concert about 45 minutes away from here with one of the guests.  I never told Stan this as I didn't feel like he really had to know.  However, one person (whom I'm dating), didn't go to the concert and stayed behind like a good trooper.

This person had to use the bathroom and had walked all the way into the bathroom when Stan called out their name.

Stan: "Where's my coworker?  And the other guest?"
Trooper: "At a concert."
Stan: "Which concert?"
Trooper: "[Name of band]."
Stan: "Where?"
Trooper: "I have no idea."
Stan: "I'm going to go look this up then."

Stan kept talking for a few minutes, uninterrupted, before the trooper told him that they had to use the bathroom and shut the door.

What does this have to do with me?  Well, the next morning, Stan confronted me while I was at breakfast.

Stan: "So, where'd you go last night?"
Me: "Concert."
Stan: "Yeah, the [name of band] concert down in [place where concert was held].  I remember.  I was sitting in my room and wondering where you were, and all of a sudden it hit me, 'He's at the concert!'"

Then he walked away.

6.  Stan had told me the week before that he was thinking of staying over at his friend's place since she was on fall break.  Or having her come over and stay at our apartment to let her relax.  This is the same friend whom he visited before and canceled on him like twice.  I think he was trying to brag about having friends since he didn't suggest having his friend stay over til after I told him that two of my friends were coming.  Anyway, one night, he didn't come home.  Could it be, I wondered, had he pulled it off?

No.  He came home the next day and told me that his friend canceled again.  He had apparently gone to try to fix a coworker's computer at their house and ended up staying until midnight.  The coworker refused to let him drive home since we live an hour from him.  After telling me this, he started talking about his boss's truck for no reason at all.  I didn't keep very good notes about this day, but I have a feeling that he made a comparison to his Honda CR-V.  Which...when I think of intimidating cars, I think Japanese 4-cylinder econo-suvs.

He then told me how smart he was for leaving a random change of clothes in his car.  For just such an occasion.

7.  He told me the following things while yelling.  From 4 feet away.

Tonight, Stan told me that he had essentially gotten into work today at 2:00 PM, so he had to leave at 8:00 PM.  When I asked if he had actually gotten in at 2, he said that he had gotten in at 8 am, but went to get SAP training and went to a team member's special lunch celebration for a few hours.  

Now, I guess I really shouldn't be surprised considering that he thinks Googling stuff (we do not need Google for anything at work.  Period.  We have all information on intranet or with contacts) and walking around confused is actual work, but I would never waste time with administrative training we don't really need anyway.  Nor would I so easily and openly go attend a celebration that I don't really have a part of.  Don't get me wrong, I was also invited to lunch celebrations, but I first cleared it with my boss if it was ok for me to go.  Mainly because these lunches celebrate events that we've been present for around 1% of.

8.  After he told me what he did today, he walked back into his room.  Then came back 3 minutes later to tell me that he felt homeless because he's slept in 4 different beds in 5 days.  Then he went back to his room.

9.  When he was in my room (both times) he could clearly see me using the internet and playing games over the internet.  Yet, when he went back to his room:

Stan: "My internet isn't working.  Is it broken?"

10.  I wanted to go visit the tourist attraction that he had seen a few weeks ago.  So I asked him what it was called.  He invited himself into my room and next to my chair and told me what he thought the name was.  So I Googled it.  He was sorta right; the site has three different names.  He couldn't tell me directions.  The directions he gave me turned out to be horribly wrong.  When I told him I could look it up myself, he stayed around and watched me search for it in in Google and Google Maps.  This is the same place where he walked miles to reach it even though there's a parking lot at the site.  And it's known for being the largest object of its kind in the whole state.  Yet Stan had one more nugget of info for me:

Stan: "Yeah, it's pretty hard to miss."

*Edit*
Stan still can't turn on the fan when he cooks.
*end edit*

7 comments:

Richardson said...

did he just try to be omniscient? o.O

Anonymous said...

WE USE SAP TOO
i don't actually use it...i tell people what i need done and they do it, because i don't feel like going through the effort to get access or wahtever.
and google is TOTALLY important at work. i use it to look up directions to places for lunch, and to find wow blogs! (but seriously, who DOESNT use the company intranet?!)
i think tahts all i have to comment on for now.

Anonymous said...

3x now with the female? :/

Anonymous said...

apparently, talking to him when i was literally a step right outside the restroom didn't make it obvious enough that i was about to use the restroom. argh!!

Anonymous said...

Joking aside, I'm actually worried that he might have a legitimate problem taking credit for things done by other people (5, eg). If ever I'm in a group with him... managing that situation could get to be interesting. Make for a damn good interview story though, I suppose :P

Anonymous said...

speaking as someone who was forced to be in a group with him, it is a problem. and i did talk about it in interviews. at least one of which he had the interview slot right before me. if only the recruiter knew. . .

also the talking-while-someone-needs-to-use-the-restoom seems to be a recurring theme here.

Anonymous said...

Good words.