Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another Big Update

Sorry guys, I was out of town last weekend and I totally forgot to post what happened.  So here is another big update

1.  Computers are important in corporate life, but we don't have a real corporate environment.  Thus, OS upgrades aren't really necessary here at work.  Most people only require that the computer 1. works and 2. has a GUI to enable people TO work.  One of the IT guys here was complaining that everything would soon have to be updated to Vista.  A good complaint, and one I agreed with.  I had seen the machines, and they didn't need the fancy graphics.  Stan agreed.  But he went so far as to say "the machines here don't need anything, they should just run DOS."

2.  Not too long after that statement, we had to work on payroll.  We both had checkbooks and we only needed our account numbers and the bank routing numbers.  Both of which are on the checks.  It took me about 4 minutes to enter my bank information into our database.  It took Stan 30...with calls to his parents...the bank...and looking stuff up on Google.  But I guess I'm being unfair.  My checkbook had a sample blank check that said explicitly "here is where the bank routing number is" and gave an X digit number.  It then said "here is where your account number is on each check" and gave a Y digit number.  So...2 sequences of numbers.  Stan had 3 sequences.  The 3rd one?  That number told him which check he was using.  As in "1st of this book...2nd of this book..."

3.  Stan told me one night that something came up with the office's doctor.  He told me he'd have to wake up and leave early the next day.  He said he had to be at work at 5:30 am and that I shouldn't be scared if I heard a bunch of noise very early in the morning.  Imagine my surprise the next morning when I woke up and ate breakfast...and saw him leaving his room at 5:40.  

Me: "I thought you had to be at work at 5:30?"
Stan: "....nooooooo....why would you think that?"
Me: "You told me..."
Stan: "Well, I had to be at work at 6."
Me: "...."
Stan: " *with a high and mighty tone* But 6 is very different from 5:30."
Me: "Yeah...I know..."
Stan: "....Hmm...I don't remember what I said last night."

4.  Also, I forgot to mention this...but we had a security training session...and we got to the technology part.

Stan: "Question."
Trainer: "Yes?"
Stan: *throws keys onto table*
*Awkard silence for 25 seconds*
*Me and the trainer realize that Stan has a flash drive on his keychain...along with 25 keys.*
Trainer: "Flash drives?"
Stan: "Yes."

5.  This one is a MULTIPARTER

Stan has a friend that goes to college like an hour from here.  She's one of the people he talks to everyday for so long.  Stan kept saying "I'll come visit" and they plan a day, but she always has a reason why he can't visit that day.  The first time, she got sick.  The second time, she pulled an all-nighter the night before and wanted to sleep.  But THIS time...Stan called her and woke her up....the talk for a bit, and he eventually finds out he's able to go...probably because she felt guilty.  I mean, I won't lie....I feel guilty writing this stuff sometimes...but then...he speaks...anyway, he hangs up and proceeds to brush his hair, neaten his clothes, and brush his teeth.  Basically, prepping himself to look nice....as if he's going to get lucky.  He then comes to my room:

Stan: "Hey, so I'm going out now."
Me: "Ok..."
Stan: "The plan is that I'll be coming back home tonight, but I really don't know...I might stay over there."
Me: "...ok..."
Stan: "Yeah, so if I end up staying over, I'll give you a call so you're not worried."
Me: "Ok."
Stan: "Yeah, but I have my work stuff with me so don't worry."
Me: "Ok."
Stan: "Yeah, were you a Boy Scout?"
Me: "No...but I get it...'always b-'"
Stan: "Well, they have a motto called 'Always be prepared.'  So I'm keeping to that."
Me: "Great."

Then he left.  After about 45 seconds of peace and quiet, he called my cell phone.

Stan: "I think I forgot to shut the door.  Can you get it? *hang up*"

And, no, he didn't forget, the door was shut.  But still.

I was all alone for a few hours...later that night I went to shower...I came out and he was sitting on the couch, holding his cell phone, totally silent.  I guess he tried something and made his visit awkward, since he didn't talk to anybody that night.

6.  Stan came to me and bragged about his work projects...he then bragged about something else:

Stan: "I heard people talking about me behind my back today."
Me: "....ok...what'd they say?"
Stan: "I don't know, I didn't hear everything...just '...kid from Cornell...'.  So I don't know if they were saying bad or good things, but hey, they're talking about me."
Me: "Right."
Stan: "Yeah, you're nothing without your name.  I like that.  I just made that up, it should be a quote."

7.  We saw the newer version of his car in the parking lot.  Stan went and started talking about the blind spots in his car.

Stan: "Yeah, so I really hate the blindspots on the newer version."
Me: "I see...aren't there blindspots on your car?"
Stan: "Yes, but they're not that bad."
Me: "Ahh..so...you've driven the new one and didn't like the new blindspots?"
Stan: "No, I've never driven the car."
Me: "....ok...how do you know about the blindspots...?"
Stan: "I read about them in magazines."
Me: "...so how do you know that you personally hate the blindspots if you've never even seen the car in person til now?"
Stan: "..."

8.  See how I said below that he's proud of his executive board position?  Last time we talked about an email deluge, he actually complained about getting emails related to his position.  He said he didn't care and that he shouldn't have to worry about that stuff while he was away.  He said he was content with having other people do his job for him.  If he says it again, I will notify the board, because he was given the position under the clause that he would work while away.

9.  Stan was yelling at his friend about housing for next year.  His friend didn't like how much the rent was.

Stan: "Ok, so how much are you paying now?"
Phone: "$490."
Stan: "$490?  Ok, so with inflation, that's $500."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at the keys and the flash drive... i stopped reading and laughed for five minutes straight. man. i feel so sorry for you, but glad that something this great can come out of it.
-K